History of "Greene Pastures"

Tour the Gardens
Below is a scan of the water color painting Carolyn Smullen Pio painted for me in 1995.
John Tetzel Baker was born September 25, 1844 in Juniata Township. died 1902 of blood poison. John was the younger son of Peter Baker; he had six older sisters. His older brother, Alexander, was born October 9 1835 in Ickesburg, Saville, PA.
John married first Mary E Moul, born in 1849 John T. Baker was a farmer and served in the Civil War. John and Mary E. Baker had 14 children.
John and Mary Baker lived on Hominy Ridge in Juniata Township where there fourteen children were born. Mary E. Moul Baker had died in 1895 and was buried St. John’s Cemetery, lot 3214.  In 1900 John T Baker married Mary Amelia Lyons in Eschol. Mary Amelia had a daughter born dead in 1800. Another daughter was born 28 June 1901 and died two days later. She is buried at St. John's Lot #214.  John T. Baker died in 1902 from blood poison. He is buried with his first wife in St. John’s cemetery, Lot #214. Mary A Lyons Baker is not buried at St. John's.
It is not known who or when the house was built as there were no records due to the division of Cumberland County to create Perry County. It is not known when John T. Baker and his family moved into ‘Greene Pastures”.
At that time the only surrounding properties were the Campbell farm across the street, St John’s Church and cemetery west and “Little Vienna” south and east of the property.  Half mile east on the road, was the general store/post office, Bosserman’s mill, Markelsville Academy and the “School on the Hill” (Markelsville public school)
The house was located just south of the Big Buffalo Creek. The house faced north and sat only thirty feet from the main road to Newport. The house was a two and half story log/frame home with a stone foundation and an attic. There were four rooms on each floor Directly in back of the house was a two story clap board building with a solid stone foundation. The lower portion served as an ice house and summer kitchen; the upstairs was a work shop. A large barn and grain house were built up the hill, east of the house.
After the death of John T. Baker in 1902, his second wife applied to Government for pension for John's minor children. She was denied on the grounds that she was not their natural mother. Mr. John R. Boden contested her petition and he was made guardian of the minor: Annie, Benjamin, Bertha and Andrew J Baker. 
Apparently John T. Baker owned considerable acreage in/around "Little Vienna"/Markelville. In 1903 William Foose was sixty-three and Margaret was sixty-five. They bought the two lots from John T. Baker's heirs, which was deeded to Margaret Foose.  Tract #1 was seven acres bounded north by a public road [RT 849], on the east by lands of Charles Adams and Samuel Snyder, on the south by Lewis Baker [son of John T.] and on the west by a public road [Robinson Rd].  Erected on the property is a two story frame dwelling house, stable and outbuildings. ] Tract #2 was 9 acres lying north of Middle Ridge Rd. The lot was bordered on the north by lands of Charles Adams; on the south by lands of Selvia Long, and on the west by lands of George D. Robinson.
The first Foose family lived in Markelsville with their four children under eight. James Foose was born in 1811 and died in 1876. His wife was Catharine Boyer (1817-1900). They had six children. Their first child, Lemuel Oliver Foose was born. January 16, 1838.  George M. Foose was born September, 1839. Catharine was pregnant with their second child when baby George died in May 1840 at the age of 9 1/2 months. In 1840 they moved to Markeslville.  William I. Foose was born September 1, 1840. Mary was born in 1842; Sarah Eleanor Foose was born in1844, and James P. was born in 1846.
Tragedy struck - Baby Catharine Ann was born in early March of 1847, and died in April before she was two months old. Their youngest son died a year later (April 1848) before his 3rd birthday. Five years later their daughter, Mary, died March 7, 1853; she was only eleven years old. Only Lemual, William and Sarah survived. Sarah, apparently never married, lived to be fifty-nine; William lived to be eighty-six.  William’s father died at the age of 64, while his mother lived to be eighty-three.  Lemual attended Markelsville Academy and became superintendent of city schools, Harrisburg. William may have attended the Academy or the public”School on the Hill”.
William I. Foose (1840-1926) married Margaret Orwan, who was born in 1838. The Orwan family also lived in Markelsville. William and Margaret Foose had three children, but their survival rate was not much better than his father's children! Their first child, Emma, was born in 1867 and died in 1871 at the age of four. Their second child, Harry A. was born in 1872. Their last child, Howard was born in 1875 and died at the age of three. Harry died in 1900 at the age of twenty-eight. William Foose was a Juniata carpenter who built caskets. It has been said by Lou Lesh that the house once served as funeral home. The Foose lived in the house from 1903 until 1914 when Margaret died.
In 1915 Stella Blaine bought the two tracts, that Margaret Foose bought from J. T. Baker's heirs in 1903, for the consideration of $1226.67. M. E. Flickinger acted as executor for deceased Margaret Foose. The conveyance was subject to the following:
"During the lifetime of William I. Foose, the surviving husband of the said Margate Foose, shall have the right to use, occupy and enjoy for his own personal use the south east room, on the second floor of the dwelling house erected on tract No. 1. The right, during the same period, to use, occupy and enjoy the carpenter shop on the same tract, but allowing the said Stella Noll Blaine, her heirs and assigns to stove goods in said shop but in such way as not to discommode the said William I. Foose in the use of said building as a work shop."
At this time, William Foose ( 1840-1926) was seventy-five years old. Just how much longer would he live? Did he lived with the Blaines until his death in 1926. So William Foose lived in the house with David and Stella Blaine with their children.
David Crist's daughter, Mary Ann, was born 1842/46 in Tuscarora Township, Juniata Co, PA. She married Winfield Scott Blain who was born 1846 in Juniata Township. Winfield was the youngest of seven children born to James Blain (1816-1892) and Sarah Vincent (1810-1876) Both James and Sarah were born in Juniata Township and continued to live and raise their children in Juniata Township.
Winfield and Sarah had four children born between 1871 and 1882. David Crist Blaine was born in 1878. In 1911 he married Stella Mae Noll in Walkerville, Fredrick Co, MD. Stella was born 1891 in Altoona. Stella was twenty years old and thirteen years younger than David. They had two children:  James Lester Blaine born about 1912 and married Pearle Wridder and Leona was born after 1912 and married Elwood Duncon.
So William Foose lived in the house with David, Stella Blaine, their two children for eleven years.  Thus upon the death of William I. Foose on August 22, 1926, ended this line of Foose in Markelsville. James Lester Blaine was known as Lester. He married Pearl Wridder from Willa. Lester and Pearl lived with David and Stella Blaine’s home. Pearl’s sister, Anna Wridder married Roy Campbell and lived across Big Buffalo Creek. Pearl talked about how she and her sister living on either side of the creek, raising their children together. 
The Blaine family continued to live there until 1965. At some point in time David Blaine lost his eye-sight. This apparently did not inhibit him from life. David maintained the furnaces at St. John's Lutheran Church (the brick church) across the road... He and Stella sold home-made ice cream from the "Summer Kitchen", below the carpenter shop. This summer kitchen was used to store ice for community use during the warm months.
Stella Blaine died in 1961. By her will she directed that her husband, David, should have a life estate in her real estate, and at upon her death she devised her real estate to her children, Leona Duncan and James Lester Blaine. Lester died before 1964. The property was sold in 1964 to the Roberts. David Blaine died in 1970 at the age of 92 years. As of 1998, Pearl Blaine lived on N. Second Street, Newport.
Lester’s and Pearl’s daughter, Dorothy, married Earle Myers. Earle Myers now owns the old Campbell farm. Dorothy Blaine Myers said her son and daughter were married in 1969 and 1970 at St Johns' Luther Church prior to the church closing its doors.  Previous information was gathered from the Perry County Court House and the internet. Here it is only the tales which reflects my conversations with next occupants.
The court house documents indicated that the Donald and Shirley Roberts bought the property, known as tract #1 from the Blaine transaction in 1964. It was the winter of 1995. I was in the state “Fine Wine and Sprints” store and commenting on the snow that fell in Markelsville compared to Newport. The clerk said she was raised in Markelsville in the house that use to sell ice cream! That was when I realized I was speaking to the Robert’s daughter. Judging from the age of the daughter she was born in Markelsville and she was the one who painted the guest room orange. “It was my favorite color! She said. Her parents were divorced; her father and brother lived in the Pocono mountain region and her mother lived in Maryland.
It seems she and her older brother were raised in Markelsville. She gave me her mother’s address. I mailed her with my phone number: she called me and we talked. When Shirley Roberts and her husband bought the house from the Pearl Blaine’s children, there was no bathroom facilities, no heat other than the large fire place in the kitchen. There probably was no running water other than the pump outside the kitchen.
The Roberts immediately installed a bathroom including running water, moved the kitchen from the east side to the west side of the house and the dining room to the east side, installed a coal burner and maybe upgraded the electric service from 60 amp to 100 amp. They remodeled the parlor into a paneled TV room. She asked, “if the huge 16” old wood fireplace mantel was still there?” I found the old wooden mantel store in the downstairs of the outside shed. She also asked if the Blue Spruce and Pine trees were still growing out front. The Roberts apparently transferred the trees as saplings from the Poconos. In 1995 the trees were then over forty feet tall. It seemed that her husband and son preferred the Poconos and left to live there. The property was granted and conveyed to Shirley.  Shirley and her daughter stayed in Markelsville until her daughter’s graduation from Newport High School. It seemed that her husband and son preferred the Poconos and left to live there. The property was granted and conveyed to Shirley.  Shirley and her daughter stayed in Markelsville until her daughter’s graduation from Newport High School.
It was 1983 that Shirley Roberts sold the house to Mark and his future wife, Karen. They had a five year old daughter. Mark’s wife started running around playing pool, resulting in a nasty divorce. Apparently they were still in the process and remodeling the house. Mark and his father rebuilt the original fireplace: re-bricked the facing and installed a heatilator. The couple lived there until 1993 when I bought the property.
Tour the gardens

Greene Pastures Gardens

You can edit text on your website by double clicking on a text box on your website. Alternatively, when you select a text box a settings menu will appear. Selecting 'Edit Text' from this menu will also allow you to edit the text within this text box. Remember to keep your wording friendly, approachable and easy to understand as if you were talking to your customer


It was sometime in 2006 that Charlotte and Carolyn were yearning to have horses but neither of them had any level  ground for pasture land. It didn't take much for me to agree to them keeping their horses at "Greene Pastures". Of course they didn't have any horses yet! The next month Char and Ken, Carolyn and Jeff cleared the hill side and fenced in the upper and middle pastures that I had originally envisioned. They contracted a friend with a gas driven posthole digger and Roger to clear the trees. Roger leveled the ground in the upper pasture for a riding ring.
By April of 2006 Victor arrived. Victor was the first arrival. Diesel came next. Deisel
was a retired Amish Belgium work horse with sore feet! Char figured she could cure his foot problem and he could be the riding horse for the 'guys' (Greg, Stanley and Jim)
Diesel went to horsie heaven and is buried in the upper pasture.
He spent six years in lavish retirement.
.  "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence."
The horses liked to graze in the lawn. The girls allowed them to roam
the "Greene Pastures" lawns while they were here. But troubles in life
come when the horses believed the myth that the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
Most of the time the horses were content to stay in the yard and not cross the road, I would call my daughters when the horses were in the yard. Some one would arrive to put them back in the pasture. There were a
few times when they visited the horses across the street. One hot
summer night I had slept down stairs with the air conditioner. I was
awakened about 5 AM by a pounding on my back door.  A gentleman
asked if I had horses: they were across the street.  I hollered "Mika"
and low and behold she came up the driveway, followed by Victor and
Glory. The gentleman was kind even to herd them back into the
pasture and lock the gate! It seemed Mika mastered the technique of
breaking thru the fence and the others would follow.
The horses were looking for more grass:. The lower pasture was created. where "the west gardens" existed. Charlotte single handly dug the fence post holes and fenced in the lower pasture. Jeff had less grass to cut. I gave my flowers away but the peonies and poppies keep popping up! Now that there was more pastures, more horses were acquired. Two Paso horses, Sierra and Paco~ came to stay at "Greene Pastures" in 2013. They were once Glory's stable mates.

Other Barn Occupants

There was one big ground hog living there when I moved in. He would sit in the drive way and wave to me as I came and went. Heidi and Colonel took care of the other ground hogs roaming the field. The dogs would grab them by the back of the neck and shake like hell until the ground hog was dead. The only problem was the dogs would bring the dead bodies down by the house to be praised. If the turkey buzzards didn't devour them the carcass of a dead ground hog stinks!!

Of course there were the rats! This resulted in having to adopt barns cats. There were a number of cats and kittens but the cat who deserves the medal of honor is "Aunt Kitty". In 2009 Aunt Kitty and
her sister were the lead barn cats. Before we could get them fixed, they both got pregnant. 
Aunt Kitty was a good mother but her sister was not. She brought her kittens to Aunt Kitty and then ran off. Aunt Kitty nursed both her kittens and her sibling' s kittens. There were many kittens born at "Greene Pastures" and we found homes for all of them.

After five years of being a barn cat, Aunt Kitty now spends half the time being a house cat. At night she sleeps in bed on 500 thread Indian sheets.

When Easter came  Char got four little "peeps". She claimed the chickens would keep the flies down, which proved to be true. The little "peeps" grew to be two hens and two roosters. The two roosters
were very handsome! One rooster was the boss and they others followed him where ever he went.  The only problem that bossy rooster did not like people, especially met One day while getting the
mail that bossy rooster attacked me. He jumped on my back when I wasn't looking. . .he pushed me down! He did not last to see the weekend.
The bashful rooster has now become the leader and is friendly. IThe two hens follow him around the yard and sit on the front porch and back porch swing.

Of course Colonel Dog ruled the land...