Early Porter Ancestors

The earliest Porter ancestery starts with the Plymouth Colony and the early Woodworths, John Strong and John Porter.
 
Stephen Hopkins, the Snows and the Smalleys settled at the Plymouth Colony with the Pilgrims. Stephen Hopkins was a passenger on the Mayflower in 1620, one of forty-one signatories of the Mayflower Compact, and an assistant to the governor of Plymouth Colony through 1636.
 
The  "Mary and John" sailed from England on 20 March 1630 bringing the Woodworth, the first Strong and Porter settlers aboard. The sailing vessel arrived in Boston Harbor on 30 May 1630
 
The Strong and Porter settlers continue. Click the button
 
Strong Porter Ancestors
Plymouth Colony
Stephen Hopkins was born in England about 1543 in Gloucestershire, England. Prior to 1604 Stephen married his first wife, Mary, at the parish of Hursley in Hampshire, England. They
had two children: Constance Hopkins was born in 1605 and Giles In 1607. Both of the Hopkin's children were baptized at the parish. Stephen Hopkins was a London merchant, probably associated with the Virginia Company or Plymouth Company.

He first sailed with the ship "Sea Venture" on a voyage to Jamestown, Virginia in July 1609 with Sir Thomas Gates and John Rolfe. He was the ship's minister's clerk. Their ship was wrecked
during a hurricane in the "Isle of Devil's" in Bermuda. Stranded on the island for ten months, the passengers and crew survived on turtles, birds, and wild pigs. Six months into the castaway, Stephen Hopkins and several others organized a mutiny against the current governor.
The mutiny was discovered and Stephen was sentenced to death. However, he pleaded with sorrow and tears. "So penitent he was, and made so much moan, alleging the ruin of his wife and children in this his trespass, as it wrought in the hearts of all the better sorts of the company". He managed to get his sentence commuted.

By May 1611, they had made a small boat and sailed for Jamestown, Virginia. How long Stephen remained in Jamestown is not known. However, while he was gone, his wife Mary died. She was buried in Hursley on 9 May 1613, and left behind a probate estate, which mentions her children Elizabeth, Constance and Giles.

Sir Thomas Gates became governor and directed the construction of a fort and stockades at Henerico. John Rolfe introduced tobacco cultivation. The settlers eventually turned on the Powhatan Indians. The Jamestown settlers captured the seventeen-year old Pocahontas. During her captivity Pocahontas caught the eye of John Rolfe. J ohn and Pocahontas were married and a permanent peace with the Powhatan Indians was established. John Rolfe, with his Powhatan bride sailed back to London with a Virginia tobacco seed and tobacco became a huge success.

Stephen Hopkins returned,  maybe with John and Pocahontasto England, sometime after 1611. Stephen married a second time at St. Mary's White chapel in London on 19 February 1618 to Elizabeth Fisher. Elizabeth had a daughter by her first husband. In 1618, Stephen and Elizabeth had a baby girl, named Damaris. A group of separatists from the Church of England established a congregation and immigrated to Amsterdam and then moved to Leyden. Although they enjoyed religious freedom in Holland, they found their children losing contact with their English culture. The Leyden group negotiated with the Virginia Co. for the right to settle a colony within their borders in Virginia. The group left the Netherlands for England. When their ship proved unseaworthy, it was abandoned and the entire company crowed aboard the Mayflower. Stephen Hopkins was not of the Pilgrim Company at Leyden, Holland, but sailed the Mayflower with them to Plymouth.
 
He worked as a tanner and merchant and was recruited by the Merchant Adventurers to provide the governance for the colony and assist with the colony's ventures. He is known as the only Mayflower passenger with prior New World experience being shipwrecked in Bermuda in 1609 and for serving several years under Capt. John Smith at Jamestown Colony.

Stephen was a fairly active member of the Pilgrims shortly after arrival, perhaps a result of his being one of the few individuals who had been to Virginia previously. He was a part of all the early exploring missions, and was used almost as an "expert" on Native Americans for the first few contacts. While out exploring, Stephen recognized and identified an Indian deer trapper. Samoset was the first Native American to make contact with the Pilgrims. On March 16, 1621_the settlers were more than surprised when Samoset strolled straight through the middle of the encampment at Plymouth Colony and greeted then in English. Samoset was housed in Stephen Hopkins' house for the night. Stephen was also sent on several of the ambassadorial missions to meet with the various Indian groups in the region.

Elizabeth Hopkins was one of only four women who survived to the "first" Thanksgiving. During this time the Hopkins family grew. Elizabeth gave birth to five additional children. Oceanus, who was born on the "Mayflower" died in 1627 at the young age of seven. Constance Hopkins was fifteen when she and her family left England in 1620. The other children, Caleb in 1622, Deborah in 1625, Damaris, Ruth and Elizabeth were all born at Plymouth. Older half- sister, Constance, was 21 years old when baby sister, Elizabeth was born.

Stephen was designated to advise Captain Myles Standish on the first land expedition. He was deputized to meet the Indians and act as an interpreter. In Plymouth, he was referred to as a merchant and a planter and was called "Gentleman". Between 1623 and 1626, Stephen Hopkins was a member of the Governor's Council from Plymouth settlement. He was the first mayor of Plymouth and served as Assistant Governor of the colony in 1633/34. Between 1632 and 1635 and in 1637, Stephen was a member of the first council of the Governor's Assistants after the incorporation of Plymouth. In 1637 Stephen Hopkins was an Assessor to raise funds for sending aid to Massachusetts Bay and Connecticut colonies in the impending Pequot Indian wars. In 1638, Stephen Hopkins and his two sons - Giles (31 years old) and Caleb (15 years old) were among the forty-two who volunteered their services as soldiers to aid Massachusetts and Connecticut.

By the late 1630s, however, Stephen began to occasionally run afoul of the Plymouth authorities, as he apparently opened up a shop and served alcohol. In 1636 he got into a fight with John Tisdale and seriously wounded him.  In 1637, he was fined for allowing drinking and shuffleboard playing on Sunday. Early the next year he was fined for allowing people to drink excessively in his house: guest William Reynolds was fined, but the others were acquitted. In 1638 he was twice fined for selling beer at twice the actual value, and in 1639 he was fined for selling a looking glass for twice what it would cost if bought in the Bay Colony.

In 1642 Stephen Hopkins was chosen to the Council of War for Plymouth. The same year he built his home at Yarmouth, which was the first home to be built there. Stephen was a tanner and a leather maker. He did not have strong puritanical ideas, and was often charged with minor infractions. He was thrifty and seems to have prospered. Elizabeth Hopkins died sometime between 1638 and 1644. Stephen died in 1644, and made out a will, asking to be buried near his wife, and naming his surviving children.

Nicholas Snow was born before 25 January 1599/0 at Hoxton, Middlesex, England. He was baptized on 25 January 1599/0 at St. Leonard's, Shoreditch, London, England. . Nicholas Snow came from England in the year 1623 on the ship "Anne", said to be the second ship to arrive in Plymouth after the Mayflower.

The ships Anne and the Little James left London, England with her Master, William Pierce, and arrived in Plymouth June or July of 1623, carrying many family members left behind from the Mayflower and The Fortune. The ship Anne arrived in Plymouth in July, 1623 accompanied by the Little James, bringing new settlers along with many of the wives and children that had been left behind in Leyden when the Mayflower departed  in 1620. Nicholas Snow had a share in Plymouth in 1624Plymouth in 1624. Records show that he became a freeman in 1633, after paying off his passage to the shipping company. He was named in 1634 to lay out highways at Plymouth. He served as arbitrator, surveyor of highways, and served on juries.

Nicholas Snow had a share in the division of the land there, next to Stephen Hopkins. "Plymouth Colony Records, Deeds, &c.", Vol. I 1627-1651 is the oldest record book of the Plymouth settlement. It begins with the 1623 division of land, recorded in the handwriting of Governor William Bradford. The lands of Nicholas Snow are described as "The fales of their ground which came ouer in the shipe called the Anne according as their were case. 1623..."

Nicholas Snow married Stephen's daughter, Constance Hopkins, sometime between 1623 and 1624 at Plymouth. Constance was eighteen years old, Nicholas was twenty-three. Nicholas and Constance Snow had thirteen children between 1628 and 1644. John Snow was born 1634 at the Plymouth Colony. Their youngest died at birth in 1644. This was the same year Constance father, Stephen Hopkins died.
John Smalley came over with Edward Winslow in the William and Francis, sailing from London March 9, 1632, and arrived in New England, June 5, 1632. Edward Smalley, believed to be John's brother, was born about 1600 and lived at Bideford, Devonshire, England. He was a clothier manufacturer and merchant of woolen goods. Edward Smalley and his wife, Elizabeth, had six children, who were all baptized at the St. Mary's Episcopal Church, at Bideford, England. Two of their children died young. The youngest child died in 1635 at the age of three.

About 1635, Edward Smalley emigrated from nearby Dartmouth, Devonshire, England to New England with his oldest son, Francis. Edward Smalley and his son first stopped at Plymouth to see John Smalley. Edward left his wife, Elizabeth, and four of their younger children at Bideford, Devonshire. Edward Smalley and his son left Plymouth and ventured to Maine.

John Smalley married, at Plymouth, on 29 November 1638 to Ann Walden.  John Smalley was granted two tracts of land (about 6 acres) at the Plymouth Colony about 1637, and 5 more acres in 1640, which he sold on 21 March 1644.The Smalleys continued to live there for six more years, with John being sworn in as a Freeman on 1 March 1642. John Smalley first appeared in Plymouth records when he was granted land on February 5, 1637/8. He was a tailor, and in August 1639 agreed to assume the apprenticeship of Samuel Godbertson from Richard Higgins, another tailor. He became a freeman of Plymouth on March 1, 1641/2.

In 1644 the church sent Nicholas Snow and others to buy land from the Indians. The land was across the bay from Plymouth and called Nauset. In 1646 this area became known as Eastham and now as Orleans. In April 1644, Nicholas Snow and John Smalley moved their families from Plymouth to Nauset. Nauset was later known as Eastham, Mass. The Snows brought their nine children, ranging in ages from sixteen to an infant. John Snow was ten years old at the time. The Snows had two more children born in 1646 and 1648. Nicholas Snow was elected as town clerk of Nauset from 1646 to 1662. He was also deputy to the General court. Nicholas Snow died 1676 in Eastham

The Smalleys brought their two young children, Hannah and John. Hannah was three and John was an infant. In 1645, Nicholas Snow and six other settlers at Eastham and were credited with keeping the Indians friendly. John Smalley and his family remained at Eastham for 23 years. While living at Eastham, the Smalley's had twins. Isaac and Mary Smalley were born on 11 December 1647. They were both baptized at Barnstable, Mass., on 27 February 1648. John Smalley was appointed as a Constable in June 1647, and as a surveyor of highways in June 1649. 

On 19 September 1667. John Snow married Mary Smalley. Mary was twenty years old and John was thirty-three. Mary and John Snow had nine children, all horn at Eastham between 1670 and 1689. Rebecca Snow was their fourth child born 23 July 1676. John and Mary Snow lived at Eastham, Mass. John Snow died at Eastham, sometime before 4 April. Their daughter, Rebecca Snow, was sixteen when her father died.

Nicholas Snow died at Eastham on 15 November 1676; Constance died in October 1677. Their son, John Snow, inherited his land. At that time the land was known as Truro.

Edward Smalley was born about 1600 and lived at Bideford, Devonshire, England. He was a clothier manufacturer and merchant of woolen goods. Edward Smalley and his wife, Elizabeth, had six children, who were all baptized at the St. Mary's Episcopal Church, at Bideford, England. Edward Smalley was also a fisherman and husbandman. About 1635, Edward Smalley had emigrated from nearby Dartmouth, Devonshire, England to New England with his son, Francis. Francis Smalley was born at Bideford, Devonshire, England about 1623 and was baptized at St. Mary's Parish at Bideford on 6 October 1625. . Edward Smalley and his son, Francis,n first had stopped at Plymouth to see John Smalley. Edward had left his wife, Elizabeth, and four of their younger children at Bideford, Devonshire, England.

In 1662, Francis Smalley and his family returned to Falmouth, where he did some trapping, as well as dealing in land. In 1663, he was an attorney for Falmouth, in some of the government squabbles of the times. Benjamin Smalley was probably born at Great Sebascodegan Island, Maine, about 1665. The Smalley family lived at the island of Sebascadegan (or Sebascoe Diggin), which is in Casco Bay and became known as Cape Small's Point. In young manhood, Benjamin Smalley left Maine and went to live at Eastham on Cape Cod.

Rebecca Snow married Benjamin Smalley about 1694 at Eastham. In 1701 Benjamin and Rebecca Smalley moved from Eastham, further up the Cape to Truro. There Benjamin Smalley raised cattle, became a Selectman, and helped to establish the church at Truro. In 1712,
 
Rebecca and Benjamin Smalley had ten children, including our ancestor - Rebecca Smalley. She was born in 1697. Rebecca Smalley grew up at Truro with her older sister and younger sister and brothers. When Rebecca was about fifteen, her family moved to Lebanon CT where the Woodworths lived. On 26 March 1712, Benjamin Smalley purchased 375 acres of land, at Lebanon, CT and moved his family with six children from Truro to Lebanon. On 14 March 1713, he sold half of this land to his brother - Daniel. The Smalley's had three more children born at Lebanon. their daughter, Rebecca Smalley was nineteen  when their youngest child, Elizabeth, was born in 1716. Rebecca Smalley  married Ebenezer Woodworth in 1717.
 
Benjamin and Rebecca Smalley moved their family to Lebanon, CT, where Benjamin died prior to 4 June 1721. Rebecca remarried on 26 December 1728 to a John Porter of Hebron, CT. After John died, Rebecca moved to Salisbury, CT, to live with her son, where she died at Salisbury, CT, on 31 August 1753.

The Woodworth Settlers

The "Mary and John" sailed from Plymouth, England, on 20 March 1630 under the command of Captain Squeb. The "Mary and John" landed at Nantasket Beach, in Boston Harbor on 30 May 1630. Nantasket, now Hull, is twelve miles southeast of Boston. 
 
Aboard the vessel were Rev. John Maverich from Devonshire, and Rev. John Warham from Exeter. Both men were leading the Puritans to land of free worship. Also aboard were many of the Greene ancestors and 140 other Pilgrims, from Dorchester, Dorsetshire, and Somerset in England looking to enjoy greater religious and civil privileges.
 
Walter Woodworth was born about 1610. He left Kentshire, England on 20 March 1630 aboard the "Mary and John". Walter Woodward was a bachelor and settled first at the Plymouth Colony, at Scituate, Mass. (1/2 way between Boston and Plymouth). Records show he paid taxes at Scituate in 1633. Walter Woodworth was assigned the third lot on Kent Street, at the corner of Meetinghouse Lane on the Ocean front at Scituate. This may have been the time that Walter Woodworth married Dorothy. The records show that he also owned two other lots in 1635, located below Stockbridge Hill.
 
Walter Woodworth and his wife were living in Scituate, Mass when their fourth child, Benjamin was born about 1640 at Scituate, Mass; he was also known as "Walter".  On 2 March 1641, Walter Woodworth was admitted as a freeman of Scituate. On 4 June 1645, he was appointed as the surveyor of highways (he was appointed again in 1646 and in 1656), and was frequently a juror. In 1654 Walter Woodworth was a member of the First Church of Scituate. In 1666 (maybe in October 1664), Walter Woodworth purchased 60 acres at Weymouth, and became a rather extensive land owner. Walter Woodworth died on 2 March 1686.
The Woodworth family remained in Scituate, Mass. Walter and Dorothy Woodworth had at least eleven children all born in Scituate between the years 1636 and 1662. All the Woodworth children all grew up at Scituate. Walter Woodworth was inlcluded in the June 1662 list of servents and 'ancient' freemen eligible for land, and received one share of land at Saconnet [Little Compton, Rhode Island].
 
Benjamin married a girl named Deborah at Little Compton, R.I.  Benjamin inherited lands at Little Compton from his father. Benjamin Woodworth was a soldier in the King Philip's War. The King Philip's War occurred between 1675 and 76. However it is uncertain when Benjamin served as a soldier. He did have a part in the Narraganset Fort Fight. Benjamin was one of the Plymouth soldiers preferred payment in land, according to the offer of the Court. Benjamin made application for land in Scituate.
 
Benjamin and Deborah Woodworth did not have any children for the first ten years of their married life. Benjamin and Deborah Woodworth had seven children between the years of 1670 and 1680. Joseph was the first born; next came Hezekiah. Then a little girl, Catherine was born in 1673. Benjamin Woodworth Jr. was born at Little Compton, Rhode Island in 1674. Benjamin Jr. was the middle child. Deborah had another boy, Isaac two years later. Another girl, Elizabeth, was born in 1678. The youngest child, Thomas was born in 1680. This was the same year that Benjamin Woodworth died at the age of forty.
 
Benjamin Woodworth Jr. married a girl named Hannah. Benjamin and Hannah had five boys born at Little Compton RI. Of course their first born was named "Benjamin". Next was Ebenezer Woodworth, who was born at Little Compton, R.I., on 12 March 1691. Ebenezer's childhood days were spent at Little Compton with his brothers: "Benny", Ichabod, Amos and Ezekiel.
 
In 1703, Benjamin Woodworth purchased a large tract of land at Lebanon, CT (later to become the town of Columbia), where many friends and relatives had settled. Benjamin moved his family to the land he had purchased at Lebanon. Benjamin was admitted as an inhabitant of Lebanon on 22 December 1704. Ebenezer was about twelve years old when they moved to the country. The farm was situated at the northeast part of the town. Since the Woodworth farm was so far from town, Benjamin Woodworth and other neighbors petitioned for a new church. In 1716, Lebanon North Parish was formed.
 
Rebecca Smalley married on 27 December 1717 to Ebenezer Woodworth. They had eight children, including our ancestor, Ebenezer Woodworth Jr was born in 1718.
 
Ebenezer Woodworth Jr and Hopestill (Tryon) Woodworth were married on 2 September 1742. Hopestill was the daughter of David Tryon and Hannah Wadham Tryon. When Hopestill was born in 1725, her older brother, David was twenty-four; her father was fifty-two. David Tryon died at Wethersfield before 23 December 1730. Hopestill was only five years old when her father died. It is uncertain 1742 whether Hopestill was the daughter of David or son, David, who was born in 1701.  Judging from her name she probably was the elder David's child. . . or maybe Hopestill was born out of wedlock and father David and Hannah raised son David's daughter as their own. . . makes a better story!
 
Ebenezer and Hopestill Woodworth’s daughter, Lydia, was born in 1751, and married Increase Porter Jr in 1773 to Increase Porter.

John Strong 1605 - 1699

John Strong was the first of the Strong family to settle in New England, and is the ancestor to most of that name in the United States. He and his two wives had 18 children, 15 of whom survived to adulthood. His descendants include many prominent figures in the early history of the United States, including perhaps most notably his great-grandson, Caleb Strong, a delegate to the Constitutional Convention in 1787, a US Senator, and Governor of Massachusetts from 1800-1807 and 1812-1816.  In addition, Strong's descendants included, as of 1889, three other governors, four other Senators, 12 Congressmen, four members of the Continental Congress, and 29 judges, including US Supreme Court justice William Strong, who served from 1870 to 1880.
John Strong was born in England in 1605. . His father was not Richard Strong of Taunton, Sonorous, but John Strong of Chard, about 15 miless south of Taunton. There have been various stories about John Strong’s voyage to New England. Was it 1630 or
It now thought that John Strong sailed with the “Mary and John” as a young man in 1630. John’s stepfather was related to Roger Ludlow’s wife, Mary Cogan. Roger Ludow was one of the illistrious passengers of the “Mary and William”. Roger Ludlow recruited John Strong because he was a bright, adventurous young man who could provide the group with his tanning skills. When he could not find a wife in New England, he returned to England to find one, as did other young men, including Jonathan Gillett, Stephen Terry & Humphrey Pinkney. John married the girl he left behind, Marjorie Deane, his first cousin. He may have remained there a few years because of his ailing father-in-law. William Deane. William died in 1634.  John came the next year with his pregnant wife and a one-year-old child (assumed to be John Strong Jr) in 1635 aboard the sailing ship “Hopewell”. During the 70-day sea voyage, his wife, Marjory Deane had a baby while they were still at sea. She and their infant child died within two months of their arrival. John found himself alone and caring for two very small children. Remembering the cute, 11 year old girl on the ship five years earlier, he went to Dorchester and asked Thomas Ford for permission to marry his, now 16-year old daughter, Abigail Ford.  John re-married Abigail Ford  16 December 1635 in Dorchester, Mass.  
 
Abigail was only 17 years old, while John Strong was 30 years old. When their first child, Thomas, was born in 1636. Jedehiah Strong was born on 7 May 1637 and was baptized at Dorchester. In 1639 Abigail had another baby boy, who died.
 
In 1635, after having assisted in founding and developing the town of Dorchester, John Strong moved to Hingham, Mass., and on March 9, 1636, took the freeman’s oath at Boston. His stay at Hingham was short, as on Dec. 4, 1638, he is found to have been an inhabitant and proprietor of Taunton, Mass., and to have been made in that year a freeman of Plymouth Colony. He remained at Taunton, as late  as 1645, as he was a deputy thence to the General Court in Plymouth, in 1641, 1643, and 1644.
 
The Strong family remained at Taunton until about 1645, when they moved to Windsor, CT, where John Strong did much to develop that settlement. Abigail Strong had eight more children were born at Windsor between 1645 and 1659. On 5 August 1652, Abigail Strong had twin boys named Samuel and Joseph. Joseph died as a baby. Abigail Strong had two more babies after 1662. Thankful was born July 1663. Their youngest child, Jerijah, was born at Northampton on 12 December 1665. Jerijah was six month's younger than John Strong's first grand-daughter. Jerijah will marry Thankful Stebbins in 1700. Thankful is the niece of Mary Stebbins Gaylord and Walter Gaylord.
When they moved to Windsor, Ct. John Strong was appointed with four others, Capt. John Mason, Roger Ludlow, Israel Stoughton, and Henry Wolcott, all very leading men in the infant colony, “to superintend and bring forward the settlement of that place,” which had been settled a few years before (1636) by a portion of the same colony that with him had founded Dorchester. Windsor was in fact called at first, and for several years (1636-50), Dorchester.
 
In 1659 the Strong family moved from Windsor to Northampton, Mass., of which he was one of the first and most active founders, as he had been previously of Dorchester, Hingham, Taunton, and Windsor. In Northampton he lived for forty years, and was a leading man in the affairs of the town and of the church. He was a tanner and very prosperous in his business. His tannery was located on what is now the southwest corner of Market and Main streets near the rail road depot. He owned at different times, as appears by records in the county clerk’s office, some two hundred acres of land in and around Northampton.
 
He earned the title of “Elder John Strong”. In 1661, John Strong was one of the eight men who founded the First Church of Northampton. Two years later, 1663, Strong was ordained an elder of the church. The Puritan pastor Mather died in 1669, and Strong was tasked with finding a suitable minister to replace him. The following year, he and several other church leaders extended a call to Solomon Stoddard, who formally accepted in 1672, and was ordained by John Strong.
 
John Strong died on April 14, 1699, at Northampton and is buried at the Bridge Street Cemetery, Northampton  Mass

John Porter ~1594 - 1648  

John Porter was born June 21, 1594 in Felstead, Essex, England.  He was the son of John Port and Sible(Vessey) Porter. John Porter, was a member of the Windsor Church, which was organized at Plymouth, England by people of Devon, Dorset, Warwick and Somerset counties in March 1630 under the guidance of Maverick and Warham. John Porter's wife was Anna (Roseanna) White (1600-1648). John, Anna and eight of their children left Essexshire on the ship "Mary and John". Their oldest child, Anna, was about eleven years old. John Porter 2nd was nine years old. Their youngest child was four at the time they sailed. The Porters first settled at Dorchester, along with the first settlers including Rev. Maverick and John Warham.
The Porters settled at Dorchester, Mass. along with the first settlers including Rev. Maverick and John Warham. A short time later, John Porter moved his family to Hingham, Mass. A baby girl, Mary, was born about 1630. A son, Samuel, was born soon after and died in 1632. Little Rose was born in 1632 and another boy in 1934. The Porters had twelve children, with the first nine being baptized at Holy Cross, Felsted, England and three born in New England. Mary was born about 1635, and was baptized on 1 October 1637. She married in 1658 to Samuel Grant (a stem father of Gen'l U.S.Grant).
 
While the Porters were raising their family in Hingham, events were happening in Connecticut. During the first part of the 17th century, the Indian tribes, Pequot and Mohegan Nations had been at war. The Podunk were forced to pay tribute to the more powerful Pequot, who claimed their land. Eventually, the Podunk invited a small party of settlers from Plymouth, Massachusetts to settle as a mediating force between the other tribes. In exchange they granted them a plot of land at the confluence of the Farmington River and the west side of the Connecticut River. After ward Governor Edward Winslow came from Plymouth to inspect the land.
 
In 1635, 60 or more people, led by the Reverends Maverick and Warham trekked overland from Dorchester, Mass.  To settlement in an area referred to as Matianuck (the Indians called Suckiage). Reverend Warham promptly renamed the settlement Dorchester. During the next few years, more settlers arrived from Dorchester, outnumbering and soon displacing the original Plymouth contingent, who mostly returned to Plymouth. In 1637, the colony's General Court changed the name of the settlement from Dorchester to Windsor, Hartford Colony. Windsor is only eight miles north of Hartford.
The Porter family moved to Windsor with Rev. Ephraim Hewett about 1637. Nathaniel Porter was born on 29 February 1640 and baptized at Windsor on 19 July 1640. Hannah (Anna) Porter, their youngest child, was born on 4 September 1642. It appears that John Porter's home was located near the Little River, at its junction with the Connecticut River. 
 
John Porter was a Constable in the Hartford Colony from 1639 to 1640, a juror in 1640, a grand juror in 1643, and a deputy to the General Court from 1646 to 1648. He traded overseas and sent his second son James to London where he became a prosperous merchant and colony agent. John Porter was a man of considerable wealth and died at Windsor on 21 April 1648. Rose died at Windsor on 10 May 1648. The eldest son, John 2nd inherited the family homestead and was to live a long and prosperous life.
 
At the time of his parents' death, young John Porter 2nd was twenty-eight years old. The Porter's oldest child, Anna, had married William Gaylord on February 24, 1645. Sarah Porter had married in 1644 to Joseph Judson.
 
In 1650 John Porter 2nd married the young lass, Mary Stanley, at Hadley, Mass. Mary was about eight-teen years old and John was thirty. Their first child, John Porter 3rd was born 3 January 1651. John 2nd and Mary Porter had twelve children born between 1651 1nd 1675.
 
Neither John or Rose Porter ever knew any of their grandchildren.  

Porter Settlers’ In-laws

The close relationship between the Phelps, Niles, Griswolds, Gaylord and Porters continued through the years.   Samuel Phelps married Sarah Griswold in 1650. Timothy Phelps married Mary Griswold in 1661. In 1669, John Porter married Joanna Gaylord, who was born on 5 February 1653 to Walter Gaylord and Mary Stebbins Gaylord. Joseph Griswold married about 1670 to Mary Gaylord. Sarah Gaylord married a William Phelps in 1686.
William Phelps lived at Windsor for 37 years, dying there on 14 July 1672, and was buried the next day. Mary died there on 27 November 1675. William had six children by Elizabeth and two by Mary. Timothy Phelps grew up at Windsor with his three half-brothers, half-sister and younger sister Mary. Mary was born in 1644 and was five years younger than Timothy.
 
Timothy Phelps married on 19 March 1661 to Mary Griswold. She was born at Windsor October 1644 to Edward and Margaret Griswold, of Killingworth, CT.  Mary's sister, Sarah, and Timothy's brother, Samuel, were married in 1650. The Phelps had at least twelve children all born at Windsor. Their first child, Timothy Phelps Jr, was born 1663, and Joseph was born 1666. Timothy Phelps was made a Freeman, at Windsor, on 2 May 1664 and lived there, at the old homestead on the land his father purchased from the Indians. Timothy's brother, Samuel Phelps, died in 1669 leaving Sarah with nine children. Sarah remarried in 1670 to Nathaniel Pomeroy.
 
Young William Phelps was born 1669 and named for his grandfather. Cornelius was born 1671. Mary, named for her grandmother, was born 1673. Timothy and Mary Phelps had seven more children. Samuel was born 1676. Nathaniel was born 1678. Sarah was born 1679. Abigail was born 1682. Hannah was born 1683. Anna Phelps was born, at Windsor, CT in 1686, and she will marry David Porter. Martha was born on 12 November 1688.
 
Mary Griswold Phelps died about 1700 and Timothy Phelps died in 1719 (his will was dated 2 March 1717).
 
Anna Phelps was born, at Windsor, CT 1686. Anna was the second youngest of twelve children born to Mary (Griswold) and Timothy Phelps. Anna Phelps married on 3 January (or 3 June) 1707 to David Porter. He was born 1685 to John Porter and Joanna Gaylord. Anna Phelps Porter died at Hebron, CT, on 24 January 1767. She and David had eight children, including our ancestor - Increase Porter. He was born in 1722 and married in 1750 to Mary Niles.
 
In May 1690, Timothy Phelps was appointed by the General Court as a Lieutenant of the Windsor Trained Band, In May 1696, he became a Captain, and in 1707 he went on an expedition to the Great Falls. In 1709, he served under Col William Whiting and Capt. Matthew Allyn in the Queen Anne War.
The Griswolds were Anna Phelps maternal grandparents. Edward Griswold was a Representative from Windsor, to the General Assembly from 1656 to 1661. In 1662, he was a Justice of the Peace and a Deputy to the General Court, from 1658 to 1660 and from 1662 to 1663. In 1663, he deeded his land at Windsor to his sons - George and Joseph, and he moved to Hamonassett (Homonosett) or West Saybrook (later known as Kenilworth, CT). In 1659, Edward Griswold helped build the Old Fort, at Springfield, for William Pyncheon.
 
Edward Griswold was a Deputy for Kenilworth (later to be changed to Killingsworth and now known as Clinton) from 1667 to 1689, and was succeeded by his son - John. About 1670, Edward became the first Deacon of the Killingsworth Church. His wife, Margaret, died on 23 August 1670, and is buried at the Clinton Cemetery (Indian River). Edward remarried in 1673 to Sarah Bemis, the widow of James Bemis of New London. In 1674, Edward Griswold received a grant of 200 acres in Kenilworth. He was a Commissioner there from 1678 to 1689. Edward Griswold died at Killingsworth in 1691.
 
Increase Niles was born at Braintree, Mass. on 16 December 1646. His parents were John and Jane (Reed) Niles.  In 1636 John was granted land in Braintree, which is an adjacent town to Dorchester ten miles south of Boston. John Niles was a Freeman there on 26 May 1647.Jane (Reed) Niles died at Braintree on 15 May 1654. Increase Niles was only eight years old when his mother died. Increase's father remarried about 1656 to Hannah Ames, who was the widow of William Ames. About 1678, they moved to Block Island. John Niles died at Braintree on 8 February 1694 and Hannah on 31 January 1703. John had at least eight children: Increase Niles had one older sister, four older brothers and two younger brothers.

Increase Niles married Mary Purchase 1677. She was born, at Boston, Mass., 1660 to John (or Oliver) and Elizabeth Purchase. Increase and Mary Niles resided at Braintree, Mass.

Increase Niles was a soldier, during the King Phillip's War, and served in Captain Johnson's company, from October to December 1675. Increase died at Braintree on 1 September 1690 (or 1693). Mary remarried to Francis Nash, and died on 16 April 1735.
Increase and Mary Niles had at least four children, who were all born at Braintree: John was born 10 October 1678. Increase Niles Jr - our ancestor - was born in March 1681. Ebenezer was born in 1683, and Mary was born in 1692. Increase Niles Jr was married, on 28 July 1715, to Sarah Littlefield. He died either on 11 May 1751 or 12 May 1752, and Sarah remarried to Noal Hayward. Increase and Sarah had at least one child: Increase Niles 2nd had a daughter, Mary, born 1728.

Mary Niles married in 1750 to Increase Porter. He was born on 18 February 1722 to David and Anna Porter. Mary died on 4 June 1765, four days after baring her eighth child. Her children included our ancestor - Increase Porter Jr, who was born in 1751 and married in 1773 to Lydia Woodworth.
Walter Gaylord, came to New England with his father, William Gaylord, aboard the “Mary & John”. He moved to Windsor, CT with Rev. John Warham and served as a Representative for the area for forty years. Walter Gaylord received a 21-acre land grant, at Windsor, on 25 December 1654. He secured a second allotment of land on the east side of the Connecticut River. Walter and Mary (Stebbins) Gaylord had five children. Johanna was born in 1653. Life at Windsor was great for the Gaylords until 1657.
 
Walter's mother, Ann Gaylord died at Windsor on 20 June 1657. Walter's youngest child, Isaac was born the next day. Walter's wife, Mary, died at Windsor on 29 June 1657 just eight days after Isaac was born. Walter was now a widower with five young children. Walter Gaylord remarried, on 22 March 1658, to Sarah Rockwell. Walter and Sarah Gaylord had three children together. Eleazer was born 7 March 1662. Sarah was born on 13 April 1665. Joanna was born on 5 February 1663.
 
 Sarah married William Phelps.in 1686.  Young John Porter 3rd and Johanna Gaylord were married on 16 December 1669. Johanna was only sixteen and John was only eighteen years old.
 
Sarah Rockwell Gaylord died at Windsor in 1683. Walter Gaylord died, at Windsor, on 9 August 1689.