Coppernoll Ancestors

It all began when Jacques Hertell, a French fur trader, wondered into a Mohawk tribe and fell in love with an Indian princess. Their daughter, Ots-Toch, was born in 1621. She married a German trader named Cornelius VanSlyck.. Their daughter married Claes Coppernoll in 1678.
Jacques Hertell 1603 - 1651
JACQUES HERTEL DE LA FRESNIÈRE was born in Fécamp, Normandy around 1603.
New France (Canada) was the area colonized by during a period beginning with the exploration of the Saint Lawrence River in 1534. New France was inhabited by indigenous nomadic Algonquian peoples and sedentary Iroquoian peoples. These lands were full of unexploited and valuable natural riches, which attracted all of Europe. By the 1580s, French trading companies had been set up, and ships were contracted to bring back furs.
 
Champlain allied himself as soon as possible with the Algonquin and Montagnais peoples in the area, who were at war with the Iroquois. In 1609, Champlain, along with two other French companions], accompanied by his Algonquin, Montagnais and Huron allies, travelled south from the St. Lawrence valley to Lake Champlain, where he participated decisively in a battle against the Iroquois, killing two Iroquois chiefs with the first shot of his Arquebus. This military engagement against the Iroquois solidified the position of Champlain with New France's Huron and Algonquin allies, bonds vital to New France in order to keep the fur trade alive.
 
Jacques Hertel arrived in New France with Samuel de Champlain in 1615 where he was to be assigned to a native tribe for a year or two to learn the language and customs.  Champlain did this with many young boys who appeared promising.  Often times there was an student exchange whereas Champlain would reciprocate by taking a young native boy and insure he was taught French and French ways.  
The dominant traditional story that was published for many years in Van Slyck and Bradt genealogies is that a French trader named Hartell or Hertel came to the Mohawk valley around 1620, where he romanced with a Mohawk  Princess known as the "Queen of Hog Island. She was the daughter of the Old Chief at the Great Castle at Canajoharie; she owned the island in the Mohawk River at Schenectad. Jacques’ wife (in the Indian sense) was called many names consisting of the following words: Indian, Mohawk, Tribe, Queen,  Hertel. She became known as Mohawk Princess of Turtle Clan. who under the law of the Five Nations owned Hog Island in the Mohawk River.  Hertel is said to have had two children with this woman. Nelson Greene, writing in History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West, 1614-1625, describes the two daughters, Ots Toch and Kenutje. "Ots Toch was wild and savage like her mother while Kenutje was small and handsome and very white like her father, Hartell." Ots_toch was born about 1620 in Canajoharie, Schenectady, New York
 
Jacques Hertel was an interpreter until 1629 when New France fell to the Kirk brothers. Then he and the other interpreters fled to the woods and to the natives tribes they were comforable with.  When New France was returned to the French in 1633, Hertel was granted a 200-acre tract of land at Trois-Rivières by the Company of 100 Associates as a show of gratitude for his loyalty to New France.  
Hertel's Mohawk daughters Ots-Toch and Kenutje "may have been adopted by their mother's parents, a practice common in the Iroquois; thus the tradition of their being daughters of a chief would coincide with their fathering by a Frenchman. This would probably account for their being thought of as full-blooded Mohawks. The fact that Ots Toch and Kanetis [Kenutje] married (at least in the Indian sense) white suggests however that they were half-breed. In 1635 Cornelis Van Slyck ‘married’ Ots-Toch, an Indian woman from the Mohawk Castle at Canajoharie. Van Slyck fathered at least four children, and that his wife probably had other fully Indian children.
 
In the summer of 1641, Jacques Hertel married Marie Marguerie, who had recently arrived from Rouen in 1639.  She had come out to Canada at the wish of her brother, François Marguerie, an explorer and companion to Champlain who had become an interpreter of Indian dialects.  François Marguerie was staying in the town of Three Rivers where his sister came to join him.  Jacques Hertel and Marie Marguerie would have three children before his death in 1651.  Their only son, François Hertel,  born in 1642 was considered one of Canada's most brilliant heroes.   François Hertel had for godfather, his uncle and interpreter François Marguerie and godmother, Marguerite Couillard, the wife of the renowned interpreter and explorer, Jean Nicolet.
 
Their other children, both daughters were ancestor Madeleine born in 1645 and Marguerite born in 1649.    
Jacques Hertel was primarily an interpreter and fur trader, but he also worked an as interpreter for the Jesuits at Trois-Rivières.  With ancestor, Jean Godefroy de Lintot, he was the first settler there before the official founding of that post.  Beginning in 1645, Jacques Hertel built a house on his land while continuing to live in Trois-Rivières. Both these land grants began to be divided into lots beginning in 1666. He died 10 Aug 1651, Trois Rivieres, Maurice, Quebec in an accident of an unknown nature
Cornelius VanSlyck 1604 ~ 1690
The names of the early inhabitants of Schenectady followed the Dutch custom of the day and, as a consequence, there are frequently considerable variations in these Seventeenth century Holland Dutch names, which have often undergone great change and modification since those early days. The name prefix "Van" or "Vander" has frequently been dropped as in the case of Van Coppernol. In the days of the settlement of Schenectady, the ordinary Dutch freeholder had but one name, modified by the name of his father and his birthplace or place of residence. For instance, the name of the original Van Slyck was Cornelis Antonise Van Slyck, meaning "Cornelis, the son of Antonis of Slyck." His son, Jacques, was generally referred to as "Jacques, the son of Cornelis."
 
The early Dutch fur traders made their way North following the Hudson River and its tributary, the Mohawk River, into the valley of the Mohawks. As early as 1615 the New Netherland Co. erected fort Orange on Castle Island near Albany. Among the early fur traders was Cornelius Antonisen Van Syck.
 
Cornelius Anthonissen Van Slyck was born in 1604, and came from Utrecht, Holland in 1630. He was a carpenter and a mason from Bruckelen (near Ultrecht) in the Netherlands. He was one of the independent traders who emigrated aboard the "Eendracht" (Unity), arriving at New Amsterdam (New York City) on 24 May 1630. He was living at Cohoes in 1640, and leased a farm north of Albany NY. Cornelius could be found farming at the Cohoes Falls.
 
 
Cornelius became an interpreter for the Mohawk nation, and was adopted into the tribe.In 1637 he met and married the French-Mohawk woman, Ots-Toch, ] a Mohawk Indian princess - “dusky, Native American beauty with wild savage nature”. They were married at The Great castle at Cannajoharie, New York.
 
After Cornelius married Ots-Tosh he lived among the Mohawks at the Great Castle near Canajoharie (also known as Indian Castle). The Indians called Cornelius "Broer Cornelius. In addition "Broer Cornelis" engaged in fur trading and enjoyed great prestige among the tribesmen.Cornelius and Ots-Tosh had five children. Their children, all raised at Canajoharie, one of the Mohawk castles or villages, became well-known and respected in the Dutch community. All except one child left the village and married Dutch settlers. Cornelius and Ots-Tosh's first son Jacques Cornelius Van Slyck , was born in 1640 at the Great Indian Castle. His Indian name was “Itsychosaquachka” He also functioned as an intreperter. It was to him, that Van Slyke's Island was given by the Indians.
 
The Dutch West India Company was chartered as a conferred trading monopoly and the right to colonize in the new world. The Company would purchase land which was empowered to grant land to the settlers. In 1646, Director William Kiefft gave Cornelius a patent for the land at Catskill, in recognition of his services to Kiefft as a peacemaker among the Indians. Cornelius also owned land near Cohoes. Cornelius also received other land grants from the Mohawks.
 
A second son, Marten Mauice was born and married an Indian girl. He lived among the Indians as an interpreter and witnessed the 1661 deed of sale at Schenectady. He inherited Hog Island from his mother. He died in 1662. A third son, named Cornelius was born in 1643 and died young in 1649.
 
A daughter, Hilletje (Alice) was born. She was a devoted Christian and was raised among the Mohawks. She was educated at Albany and Schenectady, and acted as an interpreter. Hillitie, married Peter Danielse Van Olinda of Niskayuna. She was for many years employed as provincial interpreter with the Indians by the government at $50 per annum. The Mohawk sachems in 1667, gave her the great island in the Mohawk River at Niskayuna. She and her husband sold the island in 1669 to Captain Johannes Clute. The Sachems also gave to her land at the Willow Flat, below Port Jackson; and at the bought on the Mohawk in Water Vliet. She died February 10th, 1707.
 
Leah VanSlyke, youngest daughter of Cornelius and Ots-Tosh, was born in 1650. Leah was also a devote Christian, who was also well educated and acted as an interpreter.  Cornelius was their youngest child born in 1658, and died very young.
 
Cornelius and Ots-Tosh lived at Beverwyck, NY from 1659 to 1668 and then moved back to Indian Castle at Canajoharie, NY. Ots-Tosh's death date is unknown, but it is said that she is buried on VanSlyke Island (in the Mohawk River opposite Schenectady), and is now known as Hog Island. Remember her mother was a Mohawk Princess known as the "Queen of Hog Island. Cornelius died in 1676. Cornelius was buried under old willow at eastern point of Van Slyke's Island opposite foot Wash. Ave.
 
As a Christian, Leah Van Slyck gave the early missionaries much help in their work among the Indians as well as the early settlers. She often served as an interpreter at the Indian Conferences at Fort Orange. Her signature is found on many old deeds. Leah VanSlyck married Class (Nicholas) Van Coppernoll sometime during the 1670s.
 
 
Class [Nicholas] Williams Van Coppernoll 1659 - abt1690
 
Excerpt from  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~walkersj/ClaesCoppernoll.htm
 
Difficult to read but humorous:
Class [Nicholas] Williams Van Coppernoll was born in Belgium or Holland to Jan Van Coppernoll who was a farmer in Ramsen, Holland. In February of 1659, Class and his family immigrated to America aboard the "Faith" and settled in the Mohawk Valley. Sometime during the 1670s, Leah Van Slyke and Class were married.
 
On 18 June 1678, Class and his half-breed wife, Leah, contracted to serve Jan Conell for one year on his farm at Catskill. The old spelling of Class’ name is Claes Willemus Coppernol,In 1678 Class agreed to work on Jan Cornell’s farm at Catskill for one year for 42 beavers. In April, 1679 Class Van Coppernol hired the farm of William Teller at Schenectady, and later purchased and settled on land at the Willegen, below Port Jackson. Class hired the farm and all the farming equipment. The lease started June1, 1679 and extended for six years.  Class would be responsible for the expenses and risk of all the farm animals, equipment and buildings. The conditions of the lease were rather involved and amusing. You have to read to excerpt at the end.
 
In 1685, Gov. Dongan granted Class Van Coppernoll and Pieter Van Olinda 266 acres of land below Port Jackson, known as Willow Flatts, on the south side of the Mohawk River. There, Class and Leah settled. Their son, William Van Slyke Coppernoll, was born at Willow Flatts in March 1688.
 
In 1689, Class Coppernoll sold his interest in Willow Flatts and moved to the north side of the river. This was an extremely involved business deal. This is a must read; then you can decide whether Class was a good business man.
 
Something happened to Class between 1689 and 1692. He may have been killed during the massacre of Schenectady in 1690. As a result of the outbreak of King William's War (War of the League of Augburg, 1689), hostilities broke out in America between the English and French on the Hudson Bay and between the Iroquois and the French in the area from the Mohawk Valley to the St. Lawrence.
 
The French struck with their Indian allies along the northern frontier with raids throughout New York, New Hampshire, Massachusetts and Maine. On February 9, 1690, a mixed force of French and Indians raided and burned Schenectady N.H. Leah was left a widow [or a woman with a missing husband] with a baby son.
 
Leah subsequently, July 24th, 1693, married Jonathan Stevens, who had leased Lysbeth Brower's farm at the Hoeck in Scotia, in 1697. He came from New England, and was born in 1675. Before his death he owned a home lot in Schenectady, and a farm about four miles northeast of the town, on the north side of the Mohawk River. At his death he left surviving two sons, named Hendricus and Arent, also two daughters, named Annatje and Dina.
 
Below is an excerpt from History of the Mohawk Valley: Gateway to the West 1614-1925, Chapter 22: Settlers at Schenectady, 1661-4.
 
One of the most interesting figures in the settlement of Schenectady is Leah, sister of Cornelis and daughter of "Broer Cornelis" and his French-Mohawk wife, Ots-toch. She married Class Willemse Van Coppernoll, who hired a bouwery (farm) of Willem Teller, one of the original patentees at Schenectady in 1679. In 1685, Governor Dongan granted Van Coppernoll and Pieter Van Olinda the Willow flat (de Willegen Vlachte) on the south shore of the Mohawk east of Amsterdam. Van Coppernoll sold his interest to Philip de More in 1689 and moved to the Sixth flat on the north side of the river.
 
Van Coppernoll died about 1692, after which his wife Leah married Jonathan Stevens, a New Englander or "Yankee", who built the present Stevens house at Ael Plaats (Ael Place) east of Schenectady in 1693. His son, Arent Stevens, had, through his Mohawk ancestry, great influence with the Mohawks and acted as interpreter for Sir William Johnson for twenty years. Leah, his mother, was granted (by her Mohawk relatives) the Boght (bend in the river) at Watervliet, Boght near Cohoes Falls, and the Great Islands in the Mohawk at Niskayuna.
 
 
September 21, 1676;  "We the undersigned, Storm Van der Zee and Abraham Van Tricht, hereby testify and declare at the request of Claes Willemse Van Coppernol in truth and verity,
 that on the 20th of September 1676, we saw and heard Claes Willemse and Ludovicus Coobes at the house of Storm Van der Zee contract with each other in respect to a Mare, to wit, that Ludovicus Coobes would give to said Claes Willemse one and a half beavers for the Colt that might be in said Mare and if there was no Colt in her, then said Ludovicus would be released from paying said one and a half beavers,
on condition that said Claes Willemse on said date should ride upon said Horse to Schenectady and the next day before noon again, deliver the same to said Ludovicus here in Albany and that said Claes Willemse should reliquish and surrender all his right and claim to the horse. The said deponents are ready, if need be to, to confirm the fore-going by oath and they have subscribed this with their own hands in Albany, the 21st day of September 1676"  signed with their names. (from the "Early Records of the City and County of Albany and Colony of Rensselaerswyck", Vol. III  -  Coppernoll Family Genealogy)
 
1678  He and wife Leah contracted to serve Jan Cornell on his Bowery (farm) at Catskill for one year for 42 beavers (Albany County Record 1682)

1679;  Hired a place at Schnectady from William Teller and later purchased and settled on land (The Willows) below Port Jackson on the south side of the Mohawk River.
Willow Flat was 200 acres of woodland and 66 acres cleared.  It commenced at Stone Creek below Port Jackson and ran down the river 34 rods (4,188 feet).  It was first granted to Pieter Van Olinda and Claes Willemse VanCoppernoll; 
Coppernoll holding the western half, which in 1689 he conveyed to Philip Phillipse in exchange for the sixth flat on the north side of the river.
(Coppernoll Genealogy)
 
April 12, 1679;  "On this 12th day of April 1679, appeared before me Adriaen van Ipendam, notary public (residing in Albany), and before the afternamed witnesses, Mr. William Teller, who declares that he has let and Claes Willemsz Coppenol that he has hired a certain, the lessor's farm lying at Schenectady, with all the farming implements according to the inventory made thereof, upon the following terms: 
 the lease shall commence on the first day of June next, at which time, shall be delivered the horses, cows and hogs together with the buildings and implements which the lessee shall from that time on for the period of six consecutive years bear the risk and expense. 
The lessor shall deliver with said farm fieve geldings and three mares and five milch cows, which horses and cattle shall all together be kept as to risk and increase according to the praiseworthy custom of Rensselaerswyck; also two sows about two years old, for which the lessee must deliver yearly to the lessor a hog fit to slaughter, except the first year, furthermore a suitable dwelling house, barn and wagon shed, all roof tight with three grain ricks, all in good condition. 
 The lessor shall also be holden to deliver the farmstead and the pasture land properly enclosed with a good tight fence and to have the manure of the farm carted away clean; likewise to make a fence for the garden on the flat. 
 Furthermore, he shall furnish four wagons in good repair, of which two are to have the ironwork complete, one is to have iron axles without bushings and one is to be a wooden wagon; two plows in working order with their appurtenances, one harrow, two sleds, of which one is a wood sled and the other a freight sled, and all the necessary implements nor herein-before mentioned. 
The afore-said farmland is at present sown with sixty-six skipples of winter wheat and the remainder shall in proper time be sown with summer grains according to the pleasure of the lessee, who at the end of his lease must put the like amount of grain in the ground for skipple. 
The lessor shall as a fair rent during the said six next following years receive each year one hundred and sixteen skipples of good winter wheat, the first payment of which shall be made next year 1680 in January, February, and March and so on promptly every following year, the payments to be made in Albany, with three days wood hauling yearly, the delivery of two cows and twenty four pounds of butter for all the cattle, excepting the first year. 
The lessor shall also receive every year the just half of the apples which grow in the orchard, the same to be delivered here in Albany by the lessee; but the lessor reserves the upper chamber of the dwelling house for the use of himself and his family. 
 Furthermore, the lessee shall be holden to defray himself, without charge to the lessor, all taxes and charges which shall be laid on said farm land or the common village during the term of the lease, but in case of attack by enemies or war (which is not to be hoped), he shall be free from all (obligation), that is, in case of being driven off or expelled, or in case anything be lost in such calamities or distress. 
At the expiration of his lease, the lessee shall be holden to redeliver everything comprehended in this lease in good condition, wear and tear excepted, together with a clean farmstead, just as the same shall be delivered to him. 
For the performance of which the said contracting parties bind their persons and estates, nothing excepted, subject to all lords, courts, tribunals and judges.  In witness of which they have subscribed this wiiht their own hands (in presence of the worthy Juriaen Teunisc van Tappaen and Anthony van Schayck, called as witness hereto), in New Albany on the date above written"  (Coppernoll Family Genealogy)
 
April 24, 1689;  "In all love and friendship, in presence of the here-in-after named witnesses, Claes Willemse Coppenhol, of the one part, and Philip Phillipse, of the other part, acknowledge that they have agreed and contracted in the matter of an exchange, in the manner following, to wit: 
Claes Willemse promises to deliver and convey to Philip Philipsen his lawful share and right in the willige vlackte (willow flat) and woodland according to patent, with the house and other buildings, to with the land on the first of September 1689 and the house and other buildings, the 22nd of April 1690, in return for which
Philip Philipse promises to make over to Claes Willemse also at the aforesaid time his rights in the land by him received from Jan Mebee, with house, barn and ricks, earth and nail fast, together with the sixth flat on the other side of (235) the river, in such condition as he has possessed the same, provided he pay to the Dorp, the rent due thereon, but the first five years, Coppernol shall pay but four beavers yearly and Philip Philipse the rest, Coppernol to pay the whole rent the remaining years. 
 Furthermore, he conveys to Coppernol the woodland granted to him by the trustees, on condition that Claes Willemse shall every year pay the rent a peck of wheat per morgen. 
 Philip Philipse promises next spring to provide the sixth flat with a proper fence against hogs, from one end on the river bank to the woodland and around to the other end on the river, provided that Copernoll help lay the logs. 
Philip Philipse is holden to make conveyance of the land and house next April 1690 and promises to pay to boot to Claes Willemse the quantity of one hundred and sixty seven beavers, reckoned at eight guilders, apiece in good winter wheat or peas at market price, promising in the spring to release Claes Willemse from his obligation to William Teller in the sum of one hundred beavers with the interest theron; and the contracting parties promise to carry to Albany together in the winter months the grain that Philip Philipse delivers on the hundred beavers, but as to what shall be delivered in the spring, that Philip Philipse must carry there alone. 
Furthermore, Philip Philipse promises to pay to Claes Willemse sixty-seven beavers within five years, every year in the three winter months a just fifth part of said sum in good winter wheat and peas at fair market price, the first payment to be made in the winter of next year, and Claes Wms. promises to release the land whenever he shall be discharged of the hundred beavers due to William Teller and the sixty-seven beavers likewise being paid Claes Willemse promises a proper conveyance to make. 
For the performance of the above, the contracting parties mutually bind their respective persons and estates, real and personal, present and future, nothiing excepted, submitting the same to the authority of all lords, courts, and judges.  In witness of the truth, this is subscribed with all their own hands the 24th of April 1689 in the Woestyne, present Daniel Janz and Jacobus Peck, called as witnesses hereto, who with the parties have subscribed the original draft hereof remaining in my custody.
                                                         Collated by me,       Lodowicus Cobes"
"As the principal of this contract is missing, therfore we, Philip Philipse and Elizabeth, his wife, hereby declare and certify that we hold valid said contract in all its part and will perform and execute all that this contract calls for and will give such further writings as are required by this agreement according to the decision of the arbitrators.  Schenectady, the 3rd of October 1691...."
 
October 3, 1691;  Claes Willemse missing on this date, could he have been killed during the masacre at Schnectady in 1690?  (Coppernoll Genealogy)
 
William Coppernoll 1687/88 - 1787
William Coppernoll was born March 1687/88 at Willows, Schenectady, New York. He was christened on May 22, 1691 at  Albany, NY, and died December 24, 1787 in Stone Arabia NY at the aged of 99 .
 
 About 1712 William Van Slyke Coppernoll married Engeltien (Angelica) Lantgreaf. Engeltien (Angelica)  Angelica came to America with her family in 1708 along with Rev. Joshua Kocherthal and other refugees from the German Palatine. The Lantgraefs settled at Schoharie, New York.
On 5 June 1714, William and Angelica Coppernoll purchased property at Schenectady. Reyer Shumacher and Jan Pieterse Mebie sold  them a lot for twelve dollars at Schenectady, New York. The lot was five acres. South of the lot was the highway (Front Street) and to the north was the Mohawk River.
 
William Coppernoll served in the Indian War of 1715 in Foot Company of Schenectady. William and Angelica had only two sons. Class (Nicolas) Coppernoll was born in 1714 and baptized at Schenectady. Jurrien (George) Coppernoll was born in 1716 and baptized at the First Reformed Church of Schenectady. William was listed as a freeholder at Schenectady in 1720.
 
October 19, 1723 William Coppernoll, the original proprietor and  27 other Palatines (a total of 127 people with their wives and children) of Stone Arabia (N.Y.) were granted a patent of 12,700 acres in the Mohawk Valley.  William not a Palatine but a cousin of Harmanus Van Slyk who had originally owned through inheritance a large tract containing the Stone Arabia land.  This land had been deeded to the Van Slyk's by the Mohawks.  Because of Harnaus Van Slyk's position among the Palatines was that of an advisor and negotiator with the Indians Willaim Coppernoll was granted lot # 20 (the lot later sold for the building of a church),  lot #59 and Great lot #10 which was held by the family for  four or five generations.  The lots are located on a crossroad running from the road known as the "new Turnpike", (from Johnstown - Ephratah road to NY route 5.) to the one known as the Indian Road in Stone Arabia.  An old family cemetary is located on the farm.  The tombstone records appear in "NYS Cemetary, Church and Town Records", prepared by the DAR.  (Coppernoll Family Genealogy).
 
It should be noted that maps found on the internet indicate William Coppernoll on lot #26 in 1723. It is likely that after the lots were granted there was extensive exchange of lots.
 
William Coppernoll moved his family from Schenectady to Stone Arabia about 1730 as one of the pioneer families there. In 1731 William sold 50 acres that later became the Stone Arabia Reformed Church,  built about 1735 and the Lutheran Church built in 1745.
 
William Coppernoll died at Stone Arabia on 24 December 1787. 
 
The Loucks family had also settled in Stone Arabia. Johann Loucks received three lots which consisted of 300 acres. The Loucks family consisted of two daughters and seven sons. Anna Elisabeth Loucks was born at Stone Arabia about 1718; her sister, the youngest of the family, was born about 1726.
Click map for larger view
George Coppernoll 1716 – aft 1760
George Coppernoll was christened April 14, 1716 at the First Reformed Church, Schenectady, New York. William and Angelica Coppernoll had only two sons. Class (Nicolas) Coppernoll was born in 1714 and Jurrien (George) Coppernoll was born in 1716. The Coppermo;; family livred a prosperous on his father's land.
 
George Coppernoll married Anna Elisabeth Loucks (Laux) on 28 January 1740 at the Stone Arabia Reformed Church. The Laux family was one of the most ancient and honorable of France, and for many centuries seated in Augomois and Bearn.  At the Revocation, they were compelled to flee to the adjoining Protestant countries.  Philip and Nicholas Laux (Loucks) and their families were among the four thousand Palatines who sailed for America in 1709 and 1710.  Nicholas Laux descendants settled around Stone Arabia, New York. 
 
George and Elisabeth Coppernoll lived at Stone Arabia and had eleven children. Three of their children died young. The children that were born later were named for the children who died. Dirck was born in April 1748 and was named after his brother who was born in1744 who died young;  Nicolas Coppernoll was born in 1752 and named for himself. After Nicolas came four more children: Wilhelm was born in 1750 and was named after William who was born in 1742; Adam was born on 6 August 1755, and died young, Eve was born about 1756, and Adam was born about 1759 name for the deceased Adam born in 1655.
Nicolaus Coppernoll 1752 – 1825
Nicolaus Coppernoll was born in 1752. His place of birthhas been stated to be Stone Ft. Plain and the German Flats in Herkimer County NY.  He grew up at Stone Arabia with his seven younger siblings. Nicolaus Coppernoll married Elisabeth (Maria) Reid in 1770. Elisabeth was born in 1749 but little is know of the Reid family or ancestors.
 
Did he marry Maria Finck, who was born 1756 in Stone Arabia. Her parents were Andrew Finck and Maria Catherina Loucks or did he marry Elisabeth (Maria) Reid. The internet geneology pages conflict. The mytrees, geni and wiki websites name Elisabeth Reid as his wife. Myancestry and MyHeritage websites name Maria and also Elisabeth as his wife. I found there were several women from Stone Arabia named Maria who married a Coppernoll, but only one Elisabeth Reid who narried Nicolaus Coppernoll.
 
Nicolaus Coppernoll served in the Revolutionary War as an Ensign and later as a Lieutenant in Col. Jacob Klock's 2nd Regiment, Tryon County Militia. His older brother, Dietrich was an ensign served in the revolution. His younger brothers also served in the revolution... His younger brothers Wilheim was a sergeant and Adam was a corporal.
 
Nicholas and Elisabeth Coppernoll's first child, Andrew was born in January 1779. John N. Coppernoll was born about 1780. Between 1779 and 1788 Nicolaus and Elizabeth had eight children. Around 1782 the Coppernolls were living at the German Flatts in New York. Their son, who was born on 8 April 1788, married in 1810 to Margaret Van Slyke.
 
Major Nicolaus Coppernoll is recorded in the Fort Plain Reformed Church records as having died on 8 March 1825, while Elizabeth died on 11 February 1828.
John N. Coppernoll 1780 – 1840

Lipe Family

ohn Coppernoll was born in 1780 to Nicolaus and Elisabeth Coppernoll. He was second oldest of eight children. John N. Coppernoll married about 1805 to Margaret Lipe, who was the daughter of Johannes Lipe and Elizabeth Lambert.

Their first child, Elizabeth, is recorded as being born at Stone Arabia on 31 October 1804 [it probably was 1805]. They had eleven children all together; six of the children died young.
After Elizabeth, came John in 1807. James Coppernoll was born in 1809, Maria in 1811, Josiah in 1814. Josiah died young.
 
The next child born in 1815 died on 23 July 1816 at the age of 10 months. Nicolas Adam was born on 2 April 1817, and another child was born on 29 March 1818. Twins, Margaret Annand William Henry, were born on 15 September 1819. One of the twins, Margaret Ann, died on 23 July 1820 at the age of ten months. The other twin, William Henry, also died young. The youngest child, Henry, was born on 21 August 1821.

Nicolas died on 29 September 1822 Nicolas died at the age of five, and another child died at the age of four. Illness or accident [or maybe the Indians] must have struck the Coppernoll children.

John and Margaret Coppernoll lived at Palatine, N.Y. between 1820 and 1840. John and Margaret had buried six of their children. The surviving five children grew up and married at Palatine NY.  John Coppernoll died at Palatine in 1840 at the age of sixty.
 
 
 
Adam Lipe was born about 1740 His parents were Catharine and Casper Leyp. Adam was the oldest of six children; his youngest sister, Anna Maria was born in 1766. On September 1731, Hartmann Windecker, Conrad Countryman and Casper Leyp obtained a patent for 2000 acres of land on the south side of the Mohawk River, and west of Fort Plain N.Y. This land was purchased from several Indian Chiefs on 8 October 1730. The tract was then known as `Dutchtown'. Casper made his will on 4 August 1775, and it was probated on 16 November 1782.

Adam Lipe was a Captain in Col. Samuel Clyde's Canajoharie Regiment of the Tryon County Militia in the Revolutionary War .He married Elizabeth Mathiews.They lived in Stone Arabia.
Their son, Johannes Adam Lipe, was born at Stone Arabia on 1 October 1767 and baptized in the Dutch Reformed Church on 11 October 1767. Johannes Adam Lipe married in the Dutch Reformed Church at Fort Plain, Minden, Montgomery Co., New York on 11 November 1788 to Elizabeth Lampert (Lambert). She was born on 24 April 1768 to Peter Lambert. Johannes was a farmer

Johannes and Elizabeth Lipe had ten children. Their first born was Margretha - our ancestor - was born in 1782. Margretha Lipe was born at Stone Arabia on 4 September 1782. Margretha Lipe married about 1805 to John N. Coppernoll. They had eleven children, including our ancestor - James Coppernoll.  Johannes Adam Lipe died about 1813.
James. Coppernoll 1809 – 1846

Strayer Family

James Coppernoll was born on 16 February 1809 and was baptized at the Reformed Church of Stone Arabia on 5 March 1809. He was the third child of eleven born to John N. Coppernoll and Margaret (Lipe) Coppernoll. Six of John's younger brothers/sisters died between 1814 and 1822. The Coppernolls lived at Palatine, N.Y. after 1820. James grew up in Palatine with his four surviving siblings.
 
James Coppernoll married at Palatine, N.Y., on 6 March 1834 to Nancy Catherine Strayer. The Strayers and Coppernolls were neighbors in Stone Arabia. Nancy Strayer was the third child of Margaret and John Strayer, who had nine children. Nancy was born at Cherry Valley NY on 4 July 1811.
 
James and Nancy (Strayer) Coppernoll had five children: James was born in 1835, Mary Margaret was born on 18 October 1836, and baptized on 4 December 1836. Nancy Catherine Coppernoll - our ancestor - was born in 1838. Lavina was born on 26 October 1840, and John was born on 8 October 1842. James' father, John Coppernoll, died in 1840
 
James and Nancy Coppernoll bought property at Stone Arabia in 1843, across from the Reformed Church. James Coppernoll died on 13 December 1846. Nancy (Strayer) Coppernoll was left a widow with five children between the ages of eight and one. After James' death, Nancy lived with her brother-in-law, Henry, for several years. Henry Coppernoll was James' youngest brother, who was born in 1821.
 
 
John Burkhardt Strayer was born, at Stone Arabia, N.Y., in 1744. He married on 8 July 1770 to Maria Schultz, who was born at Stone Arabia about 1750 to Jacob and Dorothea Schultz. [It seems to be unknown when the first Strayers came to America.] John served in the Revolutionary War in Christopher Fox's Company, in Col. Jacob Klock's Regiment, of the Tryon County Militia of New York. John Strayer died at Stone Arabia on 24 October 1800 and is buried at the Old Stone Arabia Church yard (his will was inventoried on 15 November 1800). Maria married again to George Wagner and died at Palatine on10 March 1831. She is buried on the farm of John Strayer Jr... Maria and John had eight children, all born at Stone Arabia:
 
Catharina was born on 2 October 1770. Anna was born on 31 May 1773; next came Maria who married Frederick Getman. Christina was born in 1775. Nancy was born on 24 May 1779. Elizabeth was born at Stone Arabia on 28 July 1782. John Jr. - our ancestor - was born in 1786. Margaretha Strayer was born on 5 April 1793.
 
John Strayer Jr. was born at Stone Arabia on 19 July 1786. He was the next to youngest of seven children born to John Burke Strayer and Maria Schultz Strayer. The Strayers and Diefendorfs were neighbors in Stone Arabia NY. John Strayer Jr. married on 28 January 1806 to Margaret Diefendorf. She was born in 1787 to Jacob Diefendorf and Christina Windecker.
 
They had at least ten children. Nancy Strayer was born in 1811, Margaret ("Bekky" or Peggy) was born in 1813, and Catharina was born in 1816, and Elizabeth was born on in1818, and Lavina (or Leveine) was born in 1820, and Joseph (Josiah) was born 1822, and Jeremiah was born 1830. Margaret Diefendorf Strayer died on 28 December 1857, while John Strayer Jr. lived until 15 February 1871. Both were buried at the cemetery on their farm.
 
Nancy Strayer married James Coppernoll in 1834. Nancy  died on 9 January 1908.